Here are 10 easy steps on how to migrate a WordPress website from a local or remote server to another local or remote server.
1) Export Local Settings
Login to your current WordPress site on localhost. Go to Tools=>Export and save the settings file.
2) Replace “localhost” in the settings file
Go to a word editor and use the replace command to replace any old host name to the new one with the domain name of your new website. i.e. replace localhost with example.com.
3) Upload New WordPress Package
Download and upload a new WordPress package to your new domain name. You should have FTP access to your new site to this.
4) Delete Example Posts and Pages
Delete the default example posts and pages from the new website.
5) Upload the “wp-content/uploads” directory from the old website to the new site
Make sure you merge the folders when you upload the folder.
6) Upload the theme from the local drive to the remote site
Upload the currently used “wp-content/themes/theme” folder from the old website to the new site.
7) Import the settings file into the new WordPress site
Go to Tools=>Import and install the plugin that is asked. Then import the file that you downloaded in step 1.
8) Update the widgets
Make sure your widgets on the remote site matches the ones on the old site.
9) Update the theme options
Also make sure your theme options on the new site matches the options on the old one.
10) Install plugins on the new site
Install the same missing plugins that are used on your old site. (Note: Some plugins require tables from the database to be used so make sure you import them from the old database).